Now that the Spring Cleaning season is coming to its end and summertime is right around the corner, now is not the time to slack up on your cleaning schedule. Yes, it’s time to enjoy the warm summer days, fun in the sun and spending more time outdoors, but it’s also time to take care of those hot summer month chores. Make sure you include these home maintenance tips as the summer temperature begins to heat up:
- Want to stay cool?, make sure you check and clean the HAVC system. Things like changing the air filters and having a system check may save money and inconveniences later. And while you’re at it, check to make sure there aren’t any leakages around the doors or windows to prevent cool air from escaping.
- Now is a good time to check the smoke detectors too. Replace the batteries and make sure that all the detectors are in good working order.
- Got a fireplace? Since its not in use on those hot summer days, now is a good time to have it cleaned and checked to make sure it is in proper working condition.
- Warm weather means being outdoors more. Have you checked your deck to make sure the wood is strong and secure? Replace any rotting wood and ensure that all the nuts, bolts and nails are as secure as when it was built.
- Surrounded by big trees? Summer storms can bring havoc on those warm days or nights. Pay close attention and inspect to make sure tree limbs are not too close to your home. If they are, consider hiring a tree service to remove and inspect any additional problem trees you find.
- Ah! Those nasty pests. Summertime brings out a bevy of insects. If you don’t have regular pest inspections, pay attention to tale tell signs of insect infestations near the home or in the yard and treat accordingly. If you need help, don’t hesitate to call for the professionals before the problem gets out of hand.
- Do you regularly clean your washing machine? The hot days of summer is a good breeding ground for mold and mildew. Once a month, pour a cap full detergent to an empty load cycle to keep irritants and that musty, moldy smell in check.
These are just a few summertime cleaning and maintenance tips that can keep your home in top shape and problems to a minimum during these warm days. Paying attention to these areas and more will go a long way in helping you enjoy the time you spend outdoors (and indoors) during the hot summer days.