Sweeping is a common task, whether for your home or business. But are you doing it correctly? Proper sweeping improves efficiency, getting your floors clean quicker. Here are five steps for proper sweeping.
- Find a broom that fits your floor surface: Abrasive floors need natural corn fiber brooms while synthetic brooms work for smooth surfaces.
- Start in one edge or corner and sweep in one direction in overlapping strokes toward a designated area. Choose a section of your floor (no bigger than 10’ x 10’) to focus on at a time and finish in that area before moving on to the next section.
- Sweep debris into your dustpan and deposit in trash.
- Rinse synthetic bristles to remove any debris and/or soils to help prevent mold and mildew growth. Do not get corn broom bristles wet as liquid will damage the bristles.
- Store using a tool holder to allow bristles to dry thoroughly and prevent bristles from becoming bent or damaged.
For more proper sweeping tips and techniques, watch our How to Sweep video: